Friday, February 17, 2012

17 February 2012 Update -- Recent & Current Reads/listening

Wow ... since the 11th .. my last post .. I've re-read 3 books, currently re-reading At All Costs by David Weber, Sequestered Hearts by Erin Dutton.  I finished listening to Lover Mine by JR Ward Saturday afternoon and just finished listening to Lover Unleashed by JR Ward last night. This coming Tuesday I start listening to Cast in Courtlight by Michelle Sagara on my drive in to work. 

I know a lot of people don't like re-reading a book.  My wife always says once she reads a book she doesn't need to read it again.  She's kind of like that with movies too.  I'm just the opposite in these respects.  I love re-reading books, especially those that made me laugh or cry and had characters and plots that grabbed my attention.  Books like these are like coming back to old friends that keep you warm on cold, gray days and bring laughter into your life.  Take, for example, in the book I'm re-reading now ... At All Costs by David Weber.  There's a scene about midway through the book where Honor comes to the White Haven home and discovers not only Emily & Hamish there but her parents too.  Emily sits in her life-support chair and tells Honor that she's come up with a solution to the current sticky situation that they find themselves in.  Here's a part of that passage:

"Not really," Emily said, with a sudden, huge smile and a matching internal swell of delight.
"You see, Honor, all you have to do is answer one question."
"One question?" Honor blinked as her eyes prickled suddenly and unexpectedly. She didn't even know why—just that the joy inside Emily had reached out and blended with a matching tide of joyous anticipation from Hamish into something so strong, so exuberant and yet so intensely focused on her, that her own emotions literally couldn't help responding to it.
 "Yes," Emily said softly. "Honor, will you marry Hamish and me?"

For an instant that seemed an eternity Honor simply stared at her. Then it penetrated, and she jerked upright in her comfortable chair. "Marry you?" Her voice trembled. "Marry both of you? Are . . . are you serious?"

This is one of my favorite passages in this book. It brings tears to my eyes every time I read it.  If you've read the Honor Harrington series by David Weber you'll understand.  If you haven't ... you really should!  Awesome characters and the stories are so gripping and exciting. 

This series grabbed me from the very first book, On Basilisk Station.  The emotions evoked by the characters and their interaction with Honor are just awesome.  She's one of those larger than life characters and how her people respond to her and the situations they find themselves in is so wonderfully emotional that I find myself going back and re-reading this series over and over again. I've re-read these books well over a dozen times.  The next book in this series, A Rising Thunder, comes out 6 March 2012.

J. R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood novels are the same way.  The characters and the stories are so wonderfully alive.  The laughter and the tears come and go throughout the entire series and there's a connection to the people that keeps me coming back over and over again.  The next book in this series, Lover Reborn, comes out 27 March 2012 and I am so looking forward to that!


Another series that does that is The Deeds of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.  Awesome books and characters.  I can't wait till next week when the 3rd book of the 2nd series is released.  Echoes of Betrayal is released on 21 February 2012. 

Lynsay Sands Argeneau series is yet another!  I can't get enough of these people!  The next book, Wanted: Undead or Alive comes out the 27th of March 2012.  I look forward to each and every new book with excitement and expectation knowing it will only wet my appetite for even more! 

Keep Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment